Akcea Therapeutics Canada, Inc., a subsidiary of Ionis Pharmaceuticals (“Akcea”), respects the privacy of visitors to its websites and online services and values the confidence of its customers, partners, patients, and employees.
Collection of information
We may ask you for some or all of the following types of information when you register with our Services, access various content or features, submit photos and other content, or directly contact us with questions or feedback:
- Contact information, such as name, email address, postal address and telephone number;
- User name and password;
- Demographic information, such as age, information and gender;
- Communications preferences;
- Search queries;
- Stories, comments, photos and other information posted in our interactive online features; and,
- Correspondence and other information that you send to us.
We also may collect certain information automatically when you visit the Services, including:
- Your browser type and operating system;
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address, which is the number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you access the Internet and that can sometimes be used to derive your general geographic area;
- Other unique identifiers, including mobile device identification numbers;
- Sites you visited before and after visiting the Services;
- Pages you view and links you click on within the Services;
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons and other technologies;
- Information about your interactions with email messages, such as the links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded; and,
- Standard server log information.
Use of information
We may use information that we collect through the Services for a variety of purposes, including to:
- Provide you with the products, promotions, services and information you request;
- Contact you via email and otherwise about products, services and events that we think might be of interest to you;
- Maintain or administer the Services, perform business analyses, or for other internal purposes to improve the quality of our business, the Services, and other products and services we offer;
- Publish stories, comments, photos and other information posted in our interactive online features;
- Process employment applications and inquiries;
- Customize and personalize your use of the Services; and,
- As otherwise described to you at the point of collection or pursuant to your consent.
Sharing of information
We are committed to maintaining your trust, and we want you to understand when and with whom we may share the information we collect.
Corporate Parents and Affiliates. We may share your information with our corporate parents and other affiliated entities for a variety of purposes, including business, operational and marketing purposes.
Service Providers. We may share your information with service providers that perform certain functions or services on our behalf (such as to host the Services, manage databases, perform analyses or send communications for us).
In connection with a transfer of assets. If we sell all or part of our business, or make a sale or transfer of assets, or are otherwise involved in a merger or business transfer, or in the event of bankruptcy, we may transfer your information to one or more third parties as part of that transaction.
Other parties with your consent. We may share information about you with third parties when you consent to such sharing, including when you post information to a user profile or a public area of the Services, such as a chat room, forum, blog, or other community tool.
Aggregate information. We may disclose to third parties information that does not describe or identify individual users, such as aggregate website usage data or demographic reports.
We may allow third parties to place and read their own cookies, web beacons, Local Shared Objects and similar technologies to collect information through the Services. For example, our third-party service providers may use these technologies to collect information that helps us with traffic measurement, research and analytics. Local Shared Objects (sometimes referred to as “Flash Cookies”) are similar to standard cookies except that they can be larger and are downloaded to a computer or mobile device by the Adobe Flash media player. Please note that you may need to take additional steps beyond changing your browser settings to refuse or disable Local Shared Objects and similar technologies. For example, Local Shared Objects can be controlled through the instructions on Adobe’s Setting Manager page. If you choose to refuse, disable or delete these technologies, some of the functionality of the Services may no longer be available to you.
We maintain reasonable security procedures to help protect against loss, misuse or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction of the information you provide through the Services. However, no data transmission over the Internet or stored on a server can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your information and privacy, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information you disclose or transmit to us online and cannot be responsible for the theft, destruction or inadvertent disclosure of your information. In the event that we believe that the security of your information may have been compromised, we will endeavor to give you appropriate notice as quickly as possible, including by email. You consent to our use of email for such notification.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account password and for any access to or use of the Services using your password, whether or not authorized by you. Please notify us immediately of any unauthorized use of your password or account or any other breach of security.
Your choices and your information
If at any time you wish to stop receiving emails or other communications from us, or if you have submitted information through the Services and would like to have that information deleted from our records, please notify us.
Users outside Canada
By using the Services, you consent to the collection, storage, processing and transfer of your information in and to Canada, or other countries and territories, pursuant to the laws of Canada. Information that is collected may be transferred outside of Canada, to countries that may have different and less stringent privacy laws than Canada.
Links to third-party content
As a convenience to our visitors, the Services may link to a number of sites, services and other content that are operated and maintained by third parties. These third parties operate independently from us, and we do not control their privacy practices. Such links do not constitute an endorsement by Akcea of the content or the persons or entities associated therewith. This Privacy Notice does not apply to third-party content. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any third party to whom you provide information.
Modifications to this Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to modify this Privacy Notice from time to time without prior notice. Such changes will be effective immediately upon posting to this Service. Your continued use of the Services after any modification to the Privacy Notice will constitute your acceptance of the new terms and conditions.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, you may contact us at:
Akcea Therapeutics Canada, Inc. email@example.com.